I Broke Up With NaNoWriMo

I took a little hiatus from blogging during the month of November for National Novel Writing Month, and I was doing SO GOOD.

I went to write-ins where I met other writers. We typed away on our laptops while onlookers wondered when their favorite coffee shop became a hipster hang-out. At first all was well because a few participants brought mountains of candy so obviously, I was sold. Support from other writers AND free food?! #heaven

Up until November 12th I was on point with having written over 12,000 words without looking back. Then November 13th came… and I looked back. I wanted to glance at what I’d furiously been pounding out, which is kind of against the NaNoWriMo rules. In order to write 50,000 words in one month it kind of requires you to throw caution to the wind and not worry about awkward phrasing, editing, spelling, etc. All of that is for after you complete your 50,000. Well, I couldn’t wait. I went back and looked at what I wrote and this is what I saw…

giphy1

A dramatization

I hated it and I knew the reason was because it was rushed. So then I made a whole new outline and started over, not worrying about completing 50,000 words but just taking my time. And let me tell you folks, the quality is less Walmart and more Super Target. It’ll get there one day but sloooooowly like a sloth, which is cool because sloths are all the rage these days.

So here’s to NaNoWriMo. I tried. I really did. It’s just not for me.

Here’s to taking your time writing because quality over quantity, always.

And here’s to tomorrow being December 1st because it’s the best month of the year.

Cheers

Cheers

What are YOU looking forward to in December? Is your Christmas tree up yet? Did you go Black Friday shopping? Please write about it below in 50,000 words… or less, I guess.

***all gifs found at giphy.com

1. the home tome

Hey! That is still amazing – and I think its an awesome exercise. < note that I just typed 12 words and I felt proud of that, so I am a big believer in aiming low. Seriously BRAVO!

1. FitsofWit (Post author)

It IS a good exercise. Much better than running or weight lifting.

I always know that I’m not gonna make it so I don’t even try. At least you made 12 days. I made it like 5 minutes before I realized it wasn’t for me. In NOVEMBER? Really? How about September when I care.

1. FitsofWit (Post author)

Why do you care in Sept?

3. Spoken Like A True Nut

Every couple of years I conveniently forget how ill-suited I am for NaNoWriMo and give it another shot. I need to stop doing that.

I did not go Black Friday shopping, but my apartment is ALL THE CHRISTMAS since yesterday so the thing I’m most looking forward to right now is just going home so I can gaze lovingly at my pretty tree, possibly while consuming a hot buttered rum.

1. FitsofWit (Post author)

I like your style.

4. Sophia Ball

I always want to try NaNoMo but November is just such a busy month for me. I’ve considered doing my own – no word count goal – in like February when there’s 10 feet of snow outside and I’m not doing anything else anyway but then February rolls around and it turns out I’m very busy eating storm chips and watching Dr. Who on Netflix…

Ah well.

Kudos to you on making it 12 days and also having the courage to break up with your goal for your values. 🙂

5. FitsofWit (Post author)

Yeah I don’t know why they do November when January or February seem like more low key months.

Netflix is my bitch during that time as well.

6. brickhousechick

You have a great attitude about it, especially because I share that attitude! 🙂 I tried and I too went back to check. Then, life happened and I had less time but I was okay with that. I still got a lot of writing in and will continue on my own schedule. 🙂

1. FitsofWit (Post author)

YES. We have our own time frames to complete things for a reason.
      When I went to the write-ins they had a few 10-minute segments of “speed writing.” The leader would start the timer and for 10 minutes everyone would write as much as they could. At the end she’d go around the room and ask how many words everyone wrote. Most wrote 500+ while I wrote about 50 lolz

7. idiotprufs

You saw Jeff Goldblum?

1. FitsofWit (Post author)

Yes, thank you for reading between the lines. I was the pile of shit and Jeff Goldblum had to take off his sunglasses to admire my beauty.

1. idiotprufs

I’m here to help.

I’ve never done NaNo, don’t know if I ever will.. maybe… who knows. And I am more about quality. My look forward… graduating. Yay! Christmas tree.. not yet, maybe not at all.. empty-nester this Christmas, feels weird. Black friday shopping? Why, dear God, why? I avoid it like turkey-leftover surprise. I could keep going, taking you up on the 50k word challenge, but, I think that this is enough to get my point across… or at least answer the questions you asked.